Tuesday, January 10, 2012

30 Day Challenge - Day 6

Technically it's Day 8, but it's Workout 6. Anyway.

Yesterday I did indeed end up doing the sandbag workout I had outlined, because Bodyrock didn't get the workout up until late at night. I find it's generally easier to just work a full day behind on that site so I'm not waiting for their workouts. Anyway, the sandbag workout was good and hard, and I still felt sore from the day before, so last night I was REALLY sore. Then on my EMS shift we ran constantly and I got a whole two hours of sleep. I dragged myself back at 630 this morning and crashed until noon, whereupon I woke up and squeezed eight hours of work into six hours. Fun.

Tonight I did Day 6 - Turn Me On, which was AWESOME! It was brutally hard, yet also somehow so fun that I didn't want to slack or take breaks. In the video, Lisa Marie keeps saying how fast her heart is beating, and man, I felt like mine was hammering out of my chest. That last set of situps had me pouring sweat and breathing so hard, and when my gymboss finally beeped the ending, I collapsed and just lay there gasping. Then afterward I went to do fix dinner for myself and my mom, and my heart rate stayed elevated for the longest time! I felt this incredible sort of high. It was fantastic. What a great workout.

The workout was really innovative, I thought, because the geniuses at Bodyrock had the idea of hanging the sandbag from a hook on the wall and using it as a punching bag. I was skeptical at first, but holy crap, this worked GREAT. The workout was a circuit for four moves, done 3x through, at 10:50 intervals for 12 minutes total. The moves and my reps for each move were:

2x Burpee + Tuck Jump / 10x straight punches: 3, 3, 2.5
2x Burpee + Tuck Jump / 10x hook punches: 3, 3, 2.5
2x Burpee + Tuck Jump / 10x combo punches: 2.5, 2.5, 2
2x door touch situp + 2x bag touch situp: 6, 6, 5

As we can see, I was pretty winded for that last circuit. Holy crap. I was huffing and puffing and sweating like crazy through this workout, and yet it really just felt awesome. I'll be bookmarking this as a favorite for the future.

Sean had a workout up on the site too, and I think we were supposed to do both today, but like I said, I've been pushing it really hard and my sleep was all messed up, so I only did the one. Maybe I'll double up tomorrow.

I've continued the great food streak; I still haven't crashed or binged or anything, and I'm two days out from my special lady friend, so that's a huge accomplishment, if I do say so myself! Tonight I made an incredible dinner. I slow-roasted a pork tenderloin all day until it pulled apart really easily, then I mixed the pulled pork with some chopped celery, onions, walnuts, and dried cranberries and stuffed the mixture into portobello mushroom caps. I baked this for a while, then stuck a scoop of goat cheese on top of each mushroom and broiled it until it was toasty and golden on top. We ate these stuffed mushrooms with garlic-rosemary mashed cauliflower and roasted brussels sprouts. It was incredible. All the ingredients for this meal, btw, came to about 12 bucks, and it fed two people. Let's be clear: IT IS NOT EXPENSIVE TO EAT REALLY WELL.

I finished off the pumpkin pie for dessert. I did the math on that pumpkin pie recipe, btw, and an eighth of the pie (one normal-sized piece) comes out to 16g carbs, 9g protein. Seriously, for a dessert, you cannot beat that. That's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment