Thursday, March 8, 2012

Waking up to HIIT

I've devised a new way to squeeze in my HIIT, which always seems to fall by the wayside: do it immediately upon waking up.

This little workout will be done daily, for time:

Warmup of 2min jump rope and 5 sun salutations
150 rep challenge: 25 pushups, 25 squats, 25 tuck jumps, 25 rollups, 25 burpees, 25 leg lifts

I split the workout into 5 rounds of 5 reps each, because I hate when one move at high reps completely depletes a muscle group; it just means that form is sacrificed for the rest of the moves. Also, it allows me to move through the workout pretty much unbroken, whereas doing 25 burpees in a row would have me pausing to gasp for breath every other burpee after around #11.

This morning I did this whole thing (minus the warmup) in 11:17. Tomorrow I will attempt to beat that time, and so on and so on. My ultimate goal is to do this in 6 minutes.

Tuesday's lifting session was good. I did deadlifts and pullups. Scaling back my deadlift weight to work on form was a really good idea. I did 135 the whole time and really concentrated on tightening across the shoulders before initiating the pull, and it helped a lot. Not more butt-lifting. I then went over to the assisted pullup machine, which is a really old-school thing with basically just a lever you rest your foot on while doing the pullup, and on the other end of the lever is whatever weight you load. I liked it a lot better than the fancy ones at the globo-gyms, which seemed to do more of the work for me, whereas this is really just a place to rest your foot. I did my 5x5 with 55 pounds of resistance loaded. I'm going to try to cut that by 5 pounds each pullup workout, and in the meantime I'll be doing negatives in between lifting sets during my other workouts. I WILL GET A PULLUP, if it kills me.

Today is a Push day, so I have squats and push presses. Hopefully I'll be adding weight; we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment