Monday, March 1, 2010

Phase 1 - Day 2

First, let me congratulate Canada on their gold medal record. It's a bit crazy here, and I suppose Canadians must feel great to be a little less pathetic than usual. Poutine for everyone, hooray!

On to today's workout. This was my intro to the Plyometrics workout, and man did it kick my butt, but it was also really fun. The yoga room at the gym is completely empty early in the morning when my brother, my sister-in-law, and I go, so I had the room all to myself and a big mirror in which to watch myself jump, squat, leap, lunge, etc. I paced myself pretty well, mostly because as I was making my workout sheet last night (I watch the video the night before and write down descriptions of all the exercises on the rep count sheet), I was thinking there was no way I was going to be able to finish the thing if I did as many as Tony and his crew do. This workout is HARD. But I really surprised myself, in that I was able to not only finish, but keep a pretty good match in reps from set one to set two. I think I was so warmed up and having so much fun by the end that I had no problem really giving it my all (but let's not get crazy, I still can't do nearly as many reps in the time alotted as Tony & co.). I love the more balance-intensive poses, especially the Heisman, 180 Jumps, and Rock Star Hops.

Today my food should be pretty great. I brought two hard-boiled eggs, a sliced apple, and 2tbsp peanut butter for breakfast. For lunch I brought a salad with feta, red peppers, and zucchini, as well as a portion of the beef-and-vegetable stew I made and let simmer for three hours last night during the Trek marathon at my brother's (we are so close to finishing DS9--four episodes out from the series finale! That's seven seasons in about three months). The stew I make is so delicious and filling, especially since it's so cold and awful outside. I just get a pound of stewing beef from Vincenzo's every week, and on Sunday I take all the bits of vegetables that I didn't finish in salads/dinners from the week, chop them all up and put them in a big ceramic casserole dish, then pan-sear each piece of beef and put them in with the veggies. Some salt, pepper, rosemary, and a couple cups of water, balsamic vinegar, and worcestershire--just enough liquid to barely cover all the ingredients--and it gets covered and goes in the oven at 350 for 3 hours. It's easy, awesome, and incredibly nutritious.

Tonight is one of my trading nights at the yoga studio, so I'll have a 6:30 class (90mins) and then I'll probably have a snack of almonds and the orange I brought in my bag. When I get home, if I'm super hungry, I'll cook up some quick bacon and eggs, but if I'm not too hungry I'll just go to sleep, because I hate eating so late. It makes me sleep poorly and I'm all groggy in the morning. On trade nights I don't get home till 10:30 or 11, so I have to plan my eating really carefully all day; not just because I won't have a real dinner, but also because I can't eat within three hours of yoga (it's a very hot room and a very strenuous practice, and things can go south real quick if your stomach/upper intestines aren't empty). It's a tight balancing act that I honestly usually fail, forcing me to eat a meal when I get home and go to bed even later. Not good. Tonight I will try to avoid that.

I'm also interested to see how yoga goes tonight, considering I just completely shredded my quads. I can still feel them kind of shaking. Again, plyo is fun, but get ready for pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment